All the components of a smooth jump shot
Here is a beautiful video that shows all the details of a good jump shot.
Notice how each player:
- plants their feet after catching the ball
- focuses on the basket after catching the ball
- uses their legs to power up the shot (after first dipping down to “load the spring”)
- extends their shooting arm as they jump and releases the shot near or at the top of the jump
- releases the ball on the index and middle fingers
- lets the shooting hand naturally flop forward (instead of snapping the wrist)
- holds the follow through
- comes straight down (the body goes straight up and down)
This great video is brought to you by Shot Science Basketball.